When putting together a project it is useful to look at a range of possible funding sources. Some of those that may be of interest to Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund applicants are:
- Ngā Whenua Rāhui Fund– Ngā Whenua Rāhui is a contestable Ministerial fund established to facilitate the voluntary protection of indigenous ecosystems on Māori-owned land.
- Mātauranga Kura Taiao Fund– The Mātauranga Kura Taiao is a contestable fund supporting hapū/iwi initiatives to retain and promote traditional Māori knowledge and its use in biodiversity management.
- Community Conservation Partnerships Fund –The Community Conservation Partnerships Fund – Pūtea Tautiaki Hapori (CCPF) provides funding to community-led conservation groups for natural heritage and recreation projects in New Zealand.
- Air New Zealand Environmental Trust- The Air New Zealand Environment Trust will help communities, support projects, give grants, as well as fund research and development into ways to enhance New Zealand’s environment.
- Environment Canterbury Biodiversity Fund– The Environment Canterbury Biodiversity Fund has approximately $400,000 per year to support on the ground actions to protect and restore the region’s biodiversity
- The WWF Habitat Protection Fund is targeted at local community conservation groups based and working in New Zealand engaged in hands-on ecological restoration or conservation..
- Ministry for the Environmenthas a number of funding streams.
- Pacific Development and Conservation Trust- Every year the Trust has approximately $250,000 to distribute as grants to groups and individuals in the Pacific for a range of development and conservation projects.
- TheCanterbury Community Trust welcomes applications from groups located in the Canterbury (North of the Rakaia River), the Nelson and Marlborough regions and the Chatham Islands. Call 03 963 0084 or 0508 266 878 (toll free) to discuss putting in an application.
- Grants Onlineis intended for community groups and voluntary groups within New Zealand who wish to receive funding to assist in achieving their goals.