About the Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund
Ngāi Tahu are able to exercise rangatiratanga and kaitiakitanga over tribally significant mahinga kai areas and species.
- To protect, enhance, utilise and maintain mahinga kai areas and resources
- To provide the opportunity for Ngāi Tahu to exercise their rights to access and use mahinga kai
- To revitalise the relationship between Ngāi Tahu and mahinga kai
- To identify and work to establish protected areas for mahinga kai in the rohe of each Papatipu Rūnanga
- Mahinga kai areas are adequately and appropriately managed and protected according to Ngāi Tahu values and interests.
- The abundance of and access to mahinga kai is increased for customary use.
- Ngāi Tahu whānui value and have opportunities to learn and participate in mahinga kai practices.
- The Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund is a fully contestable fund managed by the Ngāi Tahu Funds Committee
- The MKE Fund consists of one funding round per year with the closing date being the last Friday of March each year
- Both single year and multi-year funding is available
- Single Year Funding is available to support smaller short term initiatives
- Multi-year Funding is available to support larger multi-year initiatives
- The MKE Fund’s annual amount available for distribution is $195,000.
For further information on the Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund and its criteria please see our application form.