Bilingual, Bi literate
In this episode we cover:
- There are huge benefits in using any other language with your pēpi.
- It’s important to know the huge benefits for the brain in being bilingual.
- As a Kāi Tahu whānau member, if your pēpi is able to understand any te reo Māori it really reinforces their identity.
- As soon as the child has a second language they develop an understanding of the difference between the two languages which directly enhances their intelligence – this understanding is called meta-language.
- The only way you can learn another reo is by being brave, taking risks and getting it wrong.
- It takes bravery to stumble through and use the language when you don’t have confidence in it so push past the whakama, feel the fear and do it anyway!
- Even if you only have a little bit of te reo Māori – use it with your pēpi because the benefits to their brain are huge.