Opportunities for Māori in agriculture
In late February 2016, Whenua Kura will be offering a full-time, one-year Certificate in Farming (Dairy) level 3, based on the Ngāi Tahu farms. This opportunity is open to all Māori.
Whenua Kura provides its Certificate in Farming students with:
- Full-fee scholarships for ages 16-40 (please let us know if you are outside of the age range as further scholarships may be available)
- A learning environment based on the Ngāi Tahu farms.
If you are interested in this qualification, please contact Letitia Goldsmith on 0800 5248248 or via email Letitia.Goldsmith@tetapuae.co.nz
Other qualifications on offer in 2016 include a Certificate in Agriculture (Sheep and Beef) (Level 3);Certificate in Organics (Hoticulture) (Level 3); one-year Diploma in Agriculture (Level 5) and Diploma in Farm Management (Level 6). These courses also commence early in the year. If you are interested in these qualifications, please contact Letitia Goldsmith 0800 5248248 or via email Letitia.Goldsmith@tetapuae.co.nz
Watch our latest video on Whenua Kura
The development of the Ngāi Tahu farms creates more opportunities for Māori employment and leadership.
Whenua Kura is a pathway for Māori to gain qualifications and employment on the Ngāi Tahu farms, within the wider agricultural sector and to lead the way in best-practice farming.
Hands-on training takes place on the Ngāi Tahu farms, where students learn from experienced Lincoln University educators, working with leading technology in new farm facilities.
Whenua Kura also helps students get a job at the end of their training and go on to higher levels of agricultural study at Lincoln University.
Whenua Kura includes a strong focus on Ngāi Tahu values and kaitiakitanga and students learn how to apply these values in a practical way.
Whenua Kura offers students:
- Internationally recognised tertiary qualifications with Lincoln University
- A Māori learning environment where students learn alongside in an all-Māori class
- A curriculum with a strong focus on Ngāi Tahu values and kaitiakitanga
- A Māori mentor to help students through challenging times
- Help getting a job
- Opportunities to progress onto higher levels of study/training and career acceleration.
Our teaching and farm staff work together to create a whānau environment to support students from a training level, through to work placement and employment and up the career ladder to higher levels of study, leadership and income.
Download information about:
- Whenua Kura Prospectus
- Whenua Kura Enrolment Form
- Whenua Kura Dip Ag Application Form
- Whenua Kura Certificate in Farming Application Form
To register your interest or for further information, please contact:
Phone 0800 KAITAHU or 0800 5248248