Ngāi Tahu Seafood
The use of marine resources today is still a fundamental feature of Ngāi Tahu mahinga kai (traditional food gathering), and plays a key role in the tribe’s economic, social and cultural way of life.
Ngāi Tahu Seafood carries on those traditions and for over 20 years has worked hard to achieve its reputation as a proven supplier of top quality seafood in a global market. The company prides itself on its strong sustainable operating platform that has allowed it to prosper and contribute to the generation of tribal wealth. Ngāi Tahu Seafood manages its own fisheries assets as well as the fisheries settlement assets owned by Ngāi Tahu Fisheries Settlement Ltd.
Ngāi Tahu Seafood has a deep regard for the sea and the environment, and believes in sustainability and responsible behaviour.
Ngāi Tahu Seafood is a significant quota owner, operator and supplier in three key species – lobster, abalone and Bluff oysters. The sale of wetfish ACE (Annual Catch Entitlement) is another important component of our annual earnings. The core business of Ngāi Tahu Seafood is:
- Lobster – export of high quality, live lobster under the TAHU brand.
- Wetfish – Lease of ACE to partners with agreed catch plans for Ngāi Tahu fishers.
- Abalone – Arranged harvest of pāua. Processed and marketed under contract by Prepared Foods (AFL).
- Oysters – Bluff oysters (Tio) processed and marketed under the TAHU brand.
- Mussels – Farming of Greenshell Mussels sold internationally under the TAHU brand.
For further information visit: