Whakatipu Waitai Whakatipu Waitai (Martins Bay) is the gently curving bay south of Te Hokiauau (Big Bay). It was one of the largest Ngāi Tahu kāinga in the region and home to the celebrated Ngāi Tahu rangatira Tūtoko. In 1863 Dr James Hector recruited Henare Paramata and five other Māori guides for his Fiordland expedition. On 26 August 1863 Paramata guided Hector into Whakatipu Waitai, where they were looked after by Tūtoko and his whānau. The snowy peak of Mount Tūtoko, which was named by Hector, can be seen in the background.
Photograph: Tony bridge / te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu Collection, Ngāi Tahu Archive, 2018-0311