Questions and Answers

What can we apply for?

Can we apply for our ordinary administrative costs?
Yes, the Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund is for enhancement projects, some of which require support for everyday running costs. These costs must be directly related to the project.

Can we get funding for a three year project?
Yes, you can apply for multi-year funding of up to five years at any one time. If you are unsure as to how the project will progress or develop, you might choose to divide the project up and submit one application to start with, and depending on the success of the first year you may then choose to reapply.  

Please note: Being granted funding in one year is no guarantee funding will be granted in subsequent years.

Where can I get help with planning my project?
There are some great links and resources on our webpage (see Useful Links) including details for Te Puni Kōkiri and Internal Affairs, both of who may be able to assist kanohi ki te kanohi with your project.

Funding Allocations

What is the Fund’s annual budget for distribution?
For the upcoming financial year $195,000 is available for distribution. On the basis of the quality and number of applications received, the Ngāi Tahu Funds Committee (the Committee) will determine how the funding is distributed.

Who decides if the application is successful?
The Ngāi Tahu Funds Committee. They will assess your application according to the relevant guidelines and selection criteria.

When does the Committee meet to decide on applications?
The Committee meet approximately 2-3 months after the round closing date, after which applicants will be advised by letter of the decisions.

What happens if my application is not eligible?
All applications will go to the Committee, including those that appear to be ineligible. If the Committee considers your application to be ineligible you will receive a letter advising you of this. To give your application the best chance of being successful you can discuss it with the Ngāi Tahu Funds Staff.

What happens if we are given less money than we request?
When making decisions on allocating funding, the Committee will carefully consider the funding that has been requested before making a decision. Sometimes the fund will receive applications for more funding than there is available. If you are given an amount that you consider will not enable you to carry out the project, you should contact the Ngāi Tahu Fund Advisor- Awhina Scott on 0800 942 472.

Will it help my chances if I also apply to other funders?
Projects displaying evidence of a collaborative approach to resourcing and funding will be favourably considered; on the basis that external /other sources of funding for projects will increase their long term viability and sustainability.

Where else can I go for funding?
You can view some other funding sources that you may be eligible to apply to.

Many other funding sources are also listed on Fundview, a database managed by the Funding Information Service. The database is available through your local rūnanga, local libraries, Department of Internal Affairs offices, and a number of other locations.

Te Puni Kōkiri also has a range of funding options and can also put you in touch with other funders. For more information go to their website or phone them on 0800 TPK TEWAI (0800 275 89384). You may also be able to get assistance from your local Internal Affairs office.

After Allocation

What is expected from the recipients receiving funding?
A funding agreement will be entered into between the recipient and the Ngāi Tahu Funds (on behalf of Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu). The agreement will stipulate the requirements of funding and reporting milestones.

What happens if not all the money given for a project is spent on that project?
If money remains after the project is completed, this is to be returned to the Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund with your final report.

Will information about us and our project be made public or passed on to others?
To ensure accountability of the Committee and applicants to Ngāi Tahu whānui, the names of the applicant, the amount of money given and the purposes for which the money has been given for will be published in Te Pānui Rūnaka and on the fund allocations page.

Other Questions and Answers

Can Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu (TRoNT) representatives, staff members or contractors be project leaders?
To ensure any potential conflicts of interest are properly managed, it has been decided TRoNT staff, independent contractors, TRoNT representatives and Ngāi Tahu Fund Committee members cannot be project leaders.

Please note: These people can sign as Chair of an organisation applying and/or can be listed in the ‘Key personnel involved’ section of the application form.

Can we do an oral presentation to the committee about our application?
It would not be feasible for the Committee to consider oral presentations, given they have to consider numerous applications for multiple funds in a one or two day meeting. (The Ngāi Tahu Funds Committee asses applications for the Mahinga Kai Enhancement Fund, the Ngāi Tahu Fund and the Marae Development Fund).

How do I submit a formal complaint about a project?
All formal complaints must be by written letter to the Chair of the Ngāi Tahu Funds. Please send this to: The Chair, The Ngāi Tahu Funds, PO Box 13046, Christchurch 8141.

It is important to note that no discussion will be entered into regarding the final decision/s of the Ngāi Tahu Funds Committee or Ngāi Tahu Funds Chair. This includes their decision whether or not to proceed or to discontinue investigations regarding the complaint.

I have submitted an application. How long will it take before I find out if I was successful?
The Committee will meet in May to consider all funding applications received and distributions will be made to approved applicants from 01 July.  Project timelines must begin after this date.