Environment Canterbury and Ngāi Tahu invite you to apply for 2012 Youth Leadership for Sustainability Awards
Have you done something in your community, marae, school or household that will help create a better tomorrow?
Shout out about what you have done to promote a more sustainable future by working to nurture the environment or raise awareness about social issues so people can live safer, healthier, happier and more sustainable lives.
Here are just a few examples
- Introducing a recycling programme at home, at the marae, in school or in the community.
- Assisting someone to improve his or her quality of life.
- Initiating a restoration, enhancement or monitoring programme for a stream or mahinga kai area
- Influencing your school or marae to reduce its carbon footprint.
This annual award has two categories
Any student in Years 12-13 living in Canterbury who has been making a difference and is willing to present or display their own unique project.
1st: Kaikoura Whale Watch tour for 2 people
2nd: Bivouac Dakine Pack & $50 gift voucher
3rd: $50 Trade Aid Voucher
Any group of 13-18 year olds within Canterbury who have worked on a sustainability initiative either within school or beyond (this can be in collaboration with a community organisation).
1st: Maori Tour experience for up to 10 people
2nd: Bivouac Voucher to value of $100
3rd: Trade Aid gift box of food stuffs
You can demonstrate your initiatives in a variety of ways such as:
- PowerPoint presentation (12-14 slides)
- Art work
- Written document (no more than 1000 words)
- Video (five to seven minutes maximum) or any other creative method!
Although presentation is important, the judges will be looking more at the content of your work. We are looking for independent, sustainable actions that demonstrate your leadership. The decision of the judges is final.
To find out more
Or talk to your Board of Trustees Student Rep, your School Enviro Committee or contact Jocelyn Papprill at Environment Canterbury email: [email protected]
Applications close on 6th August, 2012. Winners are expected to present their entry at the awards ceremony to be held at the end of week 8,