Close

Posts Tagged ‘Te Kereme’

The Murihiku Deed of 1853

In 1853, Mantell was given the task of acquiring over 7 million acres for £2,600 in the Southland region. After negotiation the Deed of Purchase was signed on 17 August 1853. As in other purchases Mantell had negotiated, he was given the power to set aside reserves for Ngāi Tahu as he thought to be…

Read More

Banks Peninsula Deeds of Purchase

The Banks Peninsula claims consisted of three ‘purchases’ by the Crown (Port Cooper 1849, Port Levy 1849, and Akaroa 1856). The background against which these three Deeds were signed is complicated. The French claimed to have purchased the land from Ngāi Tahu by way of two deeds of sale in 1838 and 1840. At the…

Read More

The Otago Deed, 1844

The Otago Deed of Purchase, 31 July 1844, is the oldest of the official Ngāi Tahu land purchase deeds. It conveyed land to the New Zealand Company for the Scottish settlement of New Edinburgh, later renamed Otago. The Deed was signed by 23 Māori signatories and two ‘proxies’ and saw Ngāi Tahu sell over 400,000…

Read More

Ngāi Tahu Claim Hui at Te Hapa o Niu Tireni – 16 July 1907

Back row: Wiwi Taiaroa (Ōtākou), Hamuera Torepe (Arowhenua), Hoani Korehe Kaahu (Arowhenua), Hamuera Te Au Mutu Rupene (Tuahiwi), Ihaia Taoka Whaitiri (Ruapuke), Apera Pirini Ruru (Port Levy), Hoani Te Hau Pere (Little River). Third row: Hare Taura (Arowhenua), Matiu Te Hu Erueti (Ōtākou), Taituha Hape (Tuahiwi), Matapura Erihana (Waikouaiti), Te Harawira Keepa (Kaikōura), Taare Rakatauhake…

Read More

Rakiura Deed – 1864

The Rakiura (Stewart Island) Deed of Purchase was signed at Awarua (Bluff) on 29 June, 1864 by 34 Ngāi Tahu signatories. It gave ownership of Rakiura to the Queen, together with “all the large islands and all the small islands adjacent.” This was the last of the major land purchases in Te Waipounamu. The price…

Read More

Ngāi Tūāhuriri to host Hui-ā-Iwi 2017

The rūnanga and whānau of Kaikōura opened their doors and their hearts to the community and all those in need when the earthquakes struck their region last November. In the face of adversity the whānau of Takahanga Marae put their own needs aside and tended to those of the community, serving over 10,000 meals and…

Read More

Kemp’s Deed, 1848

The Canterbury Purchase, commonly referred to as Kemp’s Deed, was signed by a group of Ngāi Tahu chiefs on board the HM Sloop Fly in Akaroa Harbour on 12 June, 1848. It was the largest of all the Crown purchases from Ngāi Tahu and the least carefully transacted. In 1848, Henry Tacy Kemp, acting on…

Read More

The Arahura Deed, 1860

Assistant Native Secretary and Assistant Land Purchase Commissioner James Mackay Junior first visited Te Tai Poutini in 1857 from Collingwood. He was greeted courteously at Māwhera (Greymouth) by Werita Tainui’s older brother Tarapuhi, who was said to be a very well made, muscular man over six feet in height. Mackay told Tarapuhi that his land…

Read More

Celebrating Te Kerēme – the Ngāi Tahu Claim

On 21 November 1997, Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu and the Crown signed the Ngāi Tahu Deed of Settlement at Takahanga Marae, a significant milestone in settling 150 years of grievances, hardships and negotiations since the beginning of Te Kerēme – the Ngāi Tahu Claim. The Deed of Settlement provided acknowledgement from the Crown of…

Read More

Walking the talk

Tā Mark Solomon is not the kind of man who speaks at length about himself. He values his privacy and he’s prone to under-playing any suggestion that he’s made a significant contribution to Māoridom, to Ngāi Tahu.
The fact that he was knighted in 2013 in recognition of the work he has done for Ngāi Tahu and for Māoridom is a case in point. His initial reaction was to baulk at the honour, but there were those who told him to “pull his head in,” that it wasn’t just for him, it was for the tribe. He relates how he was told firmly to “get up there to Wellington and receive the honour on behalf of the tribe.”

Read More