Privacy Statement – Websites
- This Privacy Statement applies to all parts of the Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu Group (“TRG”) as defined from time to time in the Charter of Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu and includes (but is not limited to) Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu, Ngāi Tahu Holdings Corporation Limited, Ngāi Tahu Seafood Limited, Ngāi Tahu Property Limited, Ngāi Tahu Tourism Limited, Ngāi Tahu Farming Limited Ngāi Tahu Forestry Limited and all of their various subsidiary entities.
- TRG respects the privacy of persons and complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (“the Act”).
- This Privacy Statement explains how we (TRG) collect, use, disclose and protect your Personal Information.
- Personal Information is defined in the Act as ‘information about an identifiable individual’.
- For the purposes of the Act, the “Data Controller” in respect of your Personal Information is TRG.
- By using this or any TRG controlled website, or ‘app’ you authorise TRG to collect, use, and disclose your Personal Information in accordance with this Privacy Statement and to the extent not prohibited by the Act. We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that any Personal Information is not used for purposes other than that for which it has been collected.
- We will collect the Personal Information you provide us, and we may also collect Personal Information online from your computer, mobile or other device.
Information we collect about you
- When visiting our website, we may collect and process the following data:
- Personally Identifiable Information. This is provided by you when you register for services or goods that we may offer. Examples of these services could include email newsletters or competitions. Providing this information will always be optional for you. However, some services may not be available to you if you chose not to provide it.
- Aggregated Data. This information is generated by our systems as they track traffic through our site. This information does not identify you personally and is not linked to the personally identifiable information that you may have provided.
What do we do with your information?
- We collect your Personal Information in order to provide the best possible service to you while you are visiting our site(s)/using our apps. To this end we may use the Personal Information that you provide for the following purposes:
- To process any transactions that you might make on our site(s)/apps and to help provide any other services that you have requested.
- To offer the most relevant information suitable to you and your interests.
- For any marketing, promotional, publicity, direct marketing or market research that we might undertake.
- To bill you and enable delivery of any good or service to you.
- To respond to communications received from you.
- To conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymous basis).
- For any other purposes for which you have given permission.
What we will not do with your information
- We will not sell/rent contact information lists to parties who are not part of TRG.
- We will not (to the extent we can reasonably control) use any Personal Information for purposes other than that for which it has been collected.
Personal identifiers from your browsing activity
- When visiting our website(s)/using our apps, we collect personal identifiers from your browsing activity. What are these?
- They are requests by your web browser to our servers for web pages and other content on our website. These requests are recorded.
- We record information such as your geographical location, your Internet service provider and your IP address.
- We also record information about the software you are using to browse our website, such as the type of computer or device and the screen resolution.
- We use this information in aggregate to assess the popularity of the webpages on our website and how we perform in providing content to you.
- Cookies are placed by software that operates on our servers, and by software operated by third parties whose services we use.
- We use both cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small files of information that a web server generates and sends to a web browser. Web browsers store the cookies they receive for a predetermined period of time, or for the length of a user’s session on a website. They attach the relevant cookies to any future requests the user makes of the web server. A web beacon is an electronic image placed in the code of a web page. Our third-party service providers may employ cookies and web beacons to tailor our content to your interests, monitor the traffic patterns of users from one web page to another or to improve site performance.
- We use third party tools such as Google Analytics to monitor usage of websites. These third parties collect information anonymously. They report website trends and usage without identifying individual visitors (not by name or IP address). We have no control over how your Personal Information is processed by third parties such as Google. Please read the privacy packages of the provider (e.g. Google) to understand how your Personal Information may be used by these third parties.
- Google Analytics will associate the visitation information it collects from TRG with Google information from accounts of signed-in users who have consented to this association for the purpose of advertising personalisation. This Google information may include end user location, search history, YouTube history and data from sites that partner with Google. Google Signals compiles and provides us with multi-platform data reports on Google users that have enabled personalised advertising in their Google accounts. The information is used to provide aggregated and anonymised insights into users’ cross device behaviours. Google users can update their advertising settings and opt out by accessing their Google account.
- You might find links to third party websites on our website(s). These websites should have their own privacy policies which you should check. We have no responsibility or liability for their policies and/or application or otherwise of their policies.
- Cookies also allow us to see insights about those who interact with our adverts and websites so we can provide more relevant content and develop features that are likely to be interesting to our stakeholders.
- Remarketing involves placing a cookie on your computer when you browse our website to serve to you an advert for our products or services when you visit some other website.
Your obligations regarding the information you provide us about others
- If you provide us with Personal Information about another person (for example a spouse or relative) then you are responsible for ensuring you have authority to do so and that the person consents to our use of their Personal Information as set out in this Privacy Statement. You must also make that person aware that you have disclosed their Personal Information to us and that we will use their Personal Information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Access to and correction of your personal information
- Subject to the Act, you have the right to access your Personal Information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information.
- We reserve the right, however, to deny or limit access or amendments to your Personal Information where we are entitled by law to do so.
- If you have any queries or concerns about our Privacy Statement, our use of your personal information or our response to your access or correction request you can make a complaint.
To make a request please contact:
Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu
PO Box 13-046
Christchurch, New Zealand
Email: [email protected]
- We take all reasonable steps with our physical, technical, organisational and electronic security to protect your Personal Information against loss, damage, misuse, unauthorised access, erroneous disclosure, alteration, or destruction. As part of our security measures, we use secure servers and industry standard data encryption for transmission of personal information on TRG websites, for example when you pay by credit card online. Known as TLS (Transport Layer Security) or SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol, you can check this is active by looking for the padlock symbol on many browsers. TLS allows a secure connection between your internet browser and our internet server, using a private (or secret) key to encrypt the information. You are responsible for ensuring the security of the personal information held on your computer, mobile or other device.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
- We will make changes to this Privacy Statement from time to time. When we make changes, we will update the Privacy Statement on our websites. We will also specify the date of the last update.
- This Privacy Statement was last updated on 30 November 2022.